Thursday, June 24, 2010

First things First: Art, Artists vs. Conventionality.

Oh, how I do despise convention! Thing is, its a cage and we're all trapped inside of it. Whenever we attempt to 'break' convention, we simply eviscerate all ties with the current cage and move to the snazzier one next door. One can never truly break convention - one can only be unconventional (ie, not in the cage of conventional convention (twisted, I know))

But here we are. Following convention. It dictates one should introduce himself. And here we are. Following convention.

My name is Luke, I'm from a tiny island called Malta (how unconventional is that) and I'm 18 years of age. My motives are purely personal, I shall use this blog as a personal outlet of all my pent up hormonal-teen-angst. With the occasional dollop of a hint of humour (should I succeed at it).

Clear of all charges of attempting unconventionality? Not yet.

Let me tell you a bit about myself: I'm a person in a semi-complete state of apathy, possibly clinically depressed, (Note the clinically: it is used ironically, I have hidden here a subtle "knee-meets-balls" to society; I am not actually clinically depressed, i am only deemed so by the standards which are "clinically" - to myself I am merely unconventional. Lost you? Blame it on your conventionality. Or on my stupidity: whichever helps you sleep at night - we are, after all, living in the age where everything is relative and all philosophy is reduced to mere opinions (imagine i said that with a tone of disgust that is distinctly...Scottish.)) and have nothing better to do one hour before my social (makeshift prom to all you (in all likelihood, non-existent) non-Maltese people.) than to sit down here on my bed in nothing but a pair of shorts and have a nice little chat with you (again, in all likelihood, non-existent. Perhaps I should have used a synonym. Ah fuck it.) my audience.

I enjoy writing and wish to take it up as my profession. Actually I'm lying, but conventionality wishes me to do so. I would rather say I enjoy art and wish to take it up as my profession (artist, for those illiterate). People tell me that wanting to be an artist (again with the Scottish-disgust tone) is not a healthy decision when you can't draw a straight line even with the aid of a ruler but again, their conventionality blinds them to the true meaning of the word "artist". Let us, as convention dictates, ask Wiktionary:

artist (plural artists)

1.A person who creates art.
2.A person who creates art as an occupation.
3.A person who is skilled at some activity


Source: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/artist

Verily, one is correct in saying an artist is "[a] person who creates art". However, conventionality stipulates people to know that art=drawing/scribbling/messing around/sleeping with many women and/or men for 'inspiration'". Therefore, if one wants to be an artist one must either be a good draw-er, scribbler or womaniser/maneater.

But reality, as opposed to convention, deems it not so. The true sense of the word "art" in any context is the indulging in aesthetic and intellectual pleasures (as defined by myself). Not it is not an 'or' I have placed in that sentence, it is an 'and'. Intellectuality and Aesthetics are not mutually exclusive in Art. I wish to be an artist: I wish to indulge in Aesthetic and Intellectual pleasures.

I could go on to define 'pleasures' so as not to confuse it with the conventional meaning, but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt of thinking you able to think outside the box for yourself. That and I have to go take a shower so as not to stink at tonight's social event. Yay for convention.

Thank you all (Well, to all you naysayers, perhaps "all" also encompasses no one...a debate for another time however) for listening/reading.

Toodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment